Social networking is by far the most popular online social media activity in the world. Using such sites as Facebook and Twitter allows people to interact and communicate with other people, groups, brands and businesses.
Social networking sites are making it easier for businesses to increase brand recognition, reach and communicate with potential customers and strengthen relationships with existing customers. These sites are becoming a new channel for customer service which aids consumers in their purchasing decisions.
Social Networking Statistics:
- Social networking sites now reach over 82% of the world’s online population (1.2 billion users).
- Social networking accounts for 20% of time spent online.
- Nearly 1 in every 5 minutes online is spent on social networking sites.
- Women spend an average of nearly 2 hours (30%) more than men on social networking sites in a month.
- Social networking is no longer a teenager’s activity – it is spread similarly through all age segments.
- As of December 2012, 67% of online adults use social networking sites.
- People age 55 and older represent the fastest-growing age segment in global social networking usage.